Happy Christmas Eve Eve! I can’t believe there’s just two days left until Christmas Day!! Ah I’m so excited! I love cosy, relaxing days during the Christmas holidays. My favourite thing to do is bake some cupcakes and then eat them whilst watching a cosy Christmas movie. So here’s a little recipe and some surprisingly simple but oh-so-effective decoration ideas!
For the cupcakes
115g/4oz butter, softened
115g/4oz caster sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
115g/4oz self-raising flour
1 tbsp milk
Blue food colouring
Snowflake sprinkles (I found mine at Tesco)
Giant Milkybar buttons
Chocolate writing icing
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4. Line a 12-hole cupcake tin with paper cases. I used some Christmas cupcake cases which I found in Morrisons and Tesco.
2. Put the butter and caster sugar into a large bowl. Using a spoon or electric mixer, beat together until the mixture is light and fluffy.
3. Gradually beat in the eggs. Add about 1 tablespoon at a time and beat thoroughly after each addition.
4. Sift the flour into the bowl and gently fold into the mixture until fully combined.
5. If the mixture seems a little thick add about 1 tablespoon of milk and continue to stir until the mixture is a smooth, even consistency.
6. Add your desired flavourings; this time I divided my mix into 4 and did a some plain, some chocolate chip, some cherry and some with dried mixed fruit as it’s almost Christmas. *hehe* I kinda couldn’t decide which flavour to make so I decided to make a couple of each – I used different coloured cases to signify different flavours.
7. Carefully spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases. And bake for 15-20 minutes.
8. Leave the cupcakes to cool in the tray for about 10 minutes, then carefully transfer to a wire cooling rack and leave to cool completely.
~ decoration time ~
Snowflake Cupcakes – This one is pretty simple but looks so cute and effective. For the snowflake cupcakes I coloured some Betty Crocker Velvety Vanilla Buttercream pastel blue using blue food colouring. I then placed 1 spoonful of buttercream on each of the cupcakes and smoothed it with a knife. And then sprinkled some snowflake sprinkles on each cupcake.
Snowman Cupcakes – To start, I smoothed some Betty Crocker Velvety Vanilla Buttercream onto each cupcake. I then used chocolate chips to create the eyes and mouth and an orange Smartie for the nose. I then decorated with the mini marshmallows, some red hundreds and thousands and some snowflake sprinkles to create earmuffs and hats.
Polar Bear Cupcakes – I again smoothed some Betty Crocker Velvety Vanilla Buttercream onto each cupcake (It was on offer and it tastes so nice – and also saves time too!). I used a giant Milkybar button and some milk chocolate writing icing to create the nose and mouth. Then I added 2 chocolate chip eyes and 2 marshmallow ears!
~ and finally eat ~
I hope you have a very merry Christmas and happy baking! 🎄
Follow me on Instagram @emily.m.adventures and @princessemily_m for daily updates, and Twitter @EmilyMAdventure for info on my next blog.
Emily M x