I hope you’re having a lovely Easter weekend! Easter is one of my favourite times of year to bake, and today I am going to share my Easter Mini Egg Cupcakes recipe. I’ve baked this recipe a couple of times and I love them, I’ve also had a few requests for the recipe, so I’m really excited to share it with you. You can personalise it to your favourite chocolate too as there are so many different mini eggs available now! I used Cadbury’s hot chocolate powder for the cocoa powder and Cadbury’s Mini Eggs as they’re both my favourites and they taste fantastic together in these cupcakes!
Usually when I bake a full batch of cakes, I share them with my friends and family, however because of lockdown it’s not really possible to do that at the moment, and as there’s just 2 of us in my house, I’ve been baking in smaller batches and dividing recipes down to just one egg (as halving an egg can be a little tricky!). Therefore, this recipe will roughly make 6 cupcakes but feel free to multiply the ingredients to make more (or less).
58g/ 2oz butter, softened, or soft margarine
58g/ 2oz caster sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
43g/ 1.5oz self-raising flour
13g/ 0.5oz cocoa powder
43g/ 1.5oz unsalted butter, softened
88g/ 3oz icing sugar
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 tbsp milk
Mini eggs, I decorated each cupcake with 3 eggs, so for 6 cupcakes that is 18 mini eggs.
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/ 350F/ Gas Mark 4. Put 6 paper cases in a bun tray.
2. Place the butter and caster sugar into a large bowl and beat with a hand mixer or fork until light and fluffy.
3. Gradually beat in the egg, add a little flour if it starts to curdle.
4. Sift in the rest of the flour and fold into the mixture with a metal spoon.
5. Mix the cocoa powder with a little water, I used a mini mug for this, and mix to a paste. Pour into the mixture and stir until smooth and fully combined.
6. Spoon the mixture into the paper cases. Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 mins, or until risen and firm to the touch.
7. Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool.
~ Decoration Time ~
1. To make the buttercream, put the butter in a bowl and beat with a hand mixer or fork until fluffy.
2. Sift in the icing sugar and beat together until well mixed.
3. Again mix, the cocoa powder with a little water to a paste. Pour into the mixture and beat until smooth and fully combined.
4. Gradually add a little milk to make a creamer texture, make sure not to add too much as we still want it to be stiff enough not to move or run off the cupcake.
5. Pipe on the buttercream, or alternatively spoon on the buttercream and use a knife, turning in a circle from the centre of the cupcake to create a smooth finish to the top of the cupcake.
6. Finally decorate with your mini eggs.
I hope you enjoyed today’s post! I’m currently aiming to continue posting weekly, on Saturdays at 4pm BST, with a mixture of craft, sewing and knitting tutorials, book reviews, baking recipes and more 💛
Stay safe and best wishes,
Emily M x
(p.s. I have a little surprise coming to the blog this week, which I’m super excited to share with you! Be sure to check back here tomorrow for more details 😉)