Have you heard of the Great Big Green Week? It’s a national week of events celebrating action on climate change created by the Climate Coalition in the lead up to COP 26 in Glasgow this November.
Throughout the UK communities have been coming together to organise their own local Green Weeks and Climate Festivals during Great Big Green Week to raise awareness of the effects of climate change and what we can do as individuals to help.
Recently I have been helping out over at Cece Luna to organise their local Green Week; Green Week Thurrock, including working on a series of plastic costumes and some fun activities using recycled materials.
Today’s craft is featured as part of Cece Luna’s Eco-Craft series for Green Week Thurrock and involves getting creative with your stationery! I am going to show you how I upcycled a plain cardboard box into a colourful and fun place to store your pens, pencils, sticky notes and more.
You will need:
- A Cardboard Tray – mine is from Cadbury’s Mini Rolls
- A Cardboard Box – mine is from a pack of eco- friendly paper straws
- An Old Magazine, or other scraps of coloured paper
- Scissors (optional)
1. First, we are going to begin with the box. Have a look through your papers, create a colour scheme and tear out your chosen papers.
2. For my box, I then started to cut the papers into strips, tearing one edge to add texture.
3. Working from top down I began to stick each strip onto the box until I reached the bottom.
4. Leave the box to dry and you are ready to fill it with your pens and pencils!
5. Next for the tray, repeat step 1. After I had chosen my papers I cut them into strips, without tearing this time, and organised them into a striped pattern.
6. I started by sticking the inside strips down first, then the bottom strips as you won’t see this side as much, then finished by wrapping and folding a wide strip around and four sides to cover and seal the edges of the thinner strips.
7. Again, leave to dry and you are ready to use your recycled tray, I will be using mine to organise my stationery on my desk, such as my stapler and sticky notes.
I hope you enjoyed crafting along with me today!
Please share your makes on social media using #CraftingWithCeceLuna or alternatively email your photos to firstname.lastname@example.org for a chance to be featured in their online gallery.
Stay safe and best wishes,
Emily M x