Working on this project has been really good for my mind as it has made me sit down and spend time reading the anxiety and mindfulness books I’ve collected over the past few years.
The ‘Body Scan’ is a popular mindfulness technique that I’ve been taught/told about a couple of times but more recently read in the Take A Moment book by Mind. It helps to focus on different parts of your body, to release tension and relax the muscles. Some people will take a mindfulness break during the day to do this technique, you could even do it at your desk to take a pause from your work, whereas others find it helps them to relax before going to sleep.
- Sit in a comfortable position or lay down, and breathe slowly and deeply.
- Start to move your awareness through your body, working upwards starting with your feet
- Pay attention to the sensations in your toes, feet, legs, back, arms, fingers, shoulders, neck, jaw, eyes, face and scalp
- When you notice tension, pause
- Gradually release this tension as you breathe out and relax. Then move on
- Once you reach your scalp, start to move your attention back down your body in the opposite order finishing with your feet
- When you reach your feet, notice how they feel on the floor. Stay with that feeling for as long as you want to before getting up
I hope this technique helps, I find it’s really good for relaxing my muscles as most of the time I don’t even realise I’m feeling tense until someone points it out to me 😂 but it really helps to feel and notice the difference between tension and relaxation, and it makes you feel a little more in control of how you’re feeling.
Another mindfulness activity I will be doing today is a little bit of colouring, which is really great way to relax as it focuses your mind on the colours and shapes. Do you have a favourite activity that helps you relax? Let me know in the comments below.
I hope you enjoyed today’s post! Click here to find out more about The Positivity Project and check back here tomorrow at 10am BST for my Together Tuesday post.
And don’t forget to check out:
- Ancine (Blog / Instagram)
- Beth Lucy (Blog / Instagram)
- Ella (Blog / Instagram)
- Erin (Blog / Instagram)
- Hedy (Blog / Instagram)
- Michelle (Blog / Instagram)
- Molly (Blog / Instagram)
- Sophie (Instagram)
who are working on this project with me!
Follow my crafty adventures and for more updates on my posts check out my Instagram @lilacdaisiesdiy and @princessemily_m
Stay safe and best wishes,
Emily M x